This set of instructions and walk you through setting up the mappings for pushing data from Catalyst into ServiceNow. This process requires that all steps be completed in the Set Up a ServiceNow Connection article.
Preparing ServiceNow to receive data
- Create an Import Set by typing “Load Data” into the search bar in the top left corner and then click on “Load Data”.
- Once there, check the box for “Create table”.
- Upload a spreadsheet that has the same headers are you want to map in Catalyst – it can have data, too, so a Catalyst Export is the ideal candidate.
- Once you have uploaded your spreadsheet, click “Submit” and the data will be loaded into the table you just created
- Import Set: An import set is a staging table that will hold Catalyst data ready to be imported into service now. The data will exist in the same format as a Catalyst export (the headers and data display)
- Type “Create Transform Map” in the search bar in the top left corner and click on “Create Transform Map”. From there you will see a form like the one below. Fill it out (field descriptions below) and then click “Submit”.
- The Name field can be anything you want but should be representative of the relationship between the Catalyst table and the ServiceNow table.
- The Source Table field should be the name of your Import Set table that you just created
- The Target table is the ServiceNow table that you are mapping to.
- Transform Map: A set of field mappings very similar to the Catalyst’s mappings to ServiceNow data, but the other way around. This is set up on ServiceNow.
- Click on your newly created Transform Map and navigate to the sub-header that reads “Related Links” and click on Mapping Assist.
- Select map the fields on the left (from Catalyst) to the fields on the right (from your ServiceNow table)
- Once your fields are mapped you will have the “Field Maps” table populated on your Transform Map page.
- If you have any key fields that identify your record, click on that field.
- On the field page, I check the “Coalesce” box. With that box checked, any record from Catalyst that has the same title will be updated. If no field map has a coalesce box checked, each sync will be treated as new records and this will likely end up in duplicates, so don’t forget to choose a field to coalesce.
- Once an Import Set and a Transform Map is created on ServiceNow, Catalyst can successfully sync data to a ServiceNow instance.
IF Data fields are truncated (long text is cut off randomly on import)
- Visit an Import set and click the 3 horizontal bars next to the name, then click Configure -> Dictionary.
- Locate the field that was truncated and click on its name.
- Update the “Max length” field to be more suitable to your needs and click “Update” once you’re finished.
- Re-import and your fields should no longer be truncated.
Administrative Setup (on Catalyst):
- Go to Administration->Import/Export, and click Manage ServiceNow Mappings. Each list in Catalyst that you wish to sync will get a mapping.
- Click New ServiceNow Mapping
- Fill out the information
- Title: [Can be anything descriptive of the mapping]
- ServiceNow Connection: Choose the connection you created in the previous section of this guide.
- Catalyst Section: Choose the Catalyst table you would like to insert data into.
- Select your Staging Table (the Import Set table you created on ServiceNow)
- Save the ServiceNow Mapping
- Click “Sync to ServiceNow” to run a manual sync and have the sync added to the schedule for nightly automated syncs.